• This role is responsible for art-editing and designing layouts across print and digital aspects of the brand.
• To deputise for the Creative Director in their absence.
• This role reports to the Creative Director.
• The Art Editor will also offer support to the Art team of Cosmopolitan on some occasions via the production hub.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Discuss visual ideas with the Creative Director and the departments concerned. When requested brief illustrators, stylists and photographers.
• Attend photo shoots when requested by the Creative Director.
• Translate the words and ideas of the departments (Features, Fashion, etc.) into suitable layouts, liaising closely with the relevant department heads.
• View the portfolios of artists and illustrators regularly and make recommendations to the Creative Director.
• Work with the Photography Director to be aware of the editorial budgets laid down for the magazine’s photo expenditure.
• Work closely with the editorial and production staff, especially the Workflow Director and Chief Sub-Editor, to ensure that work flows efficiently and on time. When the Creative Director isn’t there – making decisions on layouts and making sure the workflow is kept to deadline.
• Be aware of the production schedule for the magazine’s editorial pages.
• Ensure work is allocated to each member of the design team and is finished to schedule in the absence of the Creative Director.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of the print process from layout to reproduction, printing and binding.
• Be able to colour-correct all proofs, ensuring the high overall quality of reproduction is maintained.
• Remain fully involved with and have knowledge of all aspects of pre-press; namely:
– Colour management, including changing and enhancing colour for press
– Image manipulation
– Cut-outs including sending cut outs to external company
• Mark up complex retouching work for in-house pre media team, ensuring work is done to schedule.
• Maintain and improve the high standard of design in the magazine, and look for fresh ideas and solutions.
• Design magazine-related projects and brand extensions as decided by the Creative Director.
• Assist the Creative Director as and when requested.
• Manage and mentor junior members of the Art team to develop their full potential.
• Run the Red Instagram along with the rest of the art team.
• Create in-house illustrations as required by the Creative Director.
• Demonstrable experience working within a similar role for a magazine brand.
• Digital design experience and ability to adapt to new technology as required.
• Experience commissioning illustrations.
• Experience art directing photography.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Experience managing a team.
• Excellent and continually developed knowledge of magazine design, typography, photography and illustration.
• Excellent understanding of working within a team and transpiring vision and implementing and developing concepts.
• Proven experience using initiative and making design decisions.
• Passion, enthusiasm and an endless supply of new ideas.
• Ability to assist the Creative Director in day to day team management.
• Maintain a professional attitude to work, setting a good example to junior members of the team by ensuring punctuality, approaching tasks with enthusiasm and purpose and taking on all tasks willingly.